Why we started this idea????

A passion for food, wine, friends and entertaining is a big part of our life. This is a way for us to document our experiences, passion for food & life and also share it with others.




Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread


I think by now I've admitted to just about everybody, "I'm not a baker!" Baking is precise, scientific and messy...I'm far too impatient of a cook for any of these attributes. Actually once after making and bringing blueberry scones to a staff meeting one of my honest teachers said, "Yeah, don't bake anymore. Stick to the other food you bring in for us!" Luckily I admire and enjoy this teacher's bluntness so I didn't take it personally and she was right, they were ugly! Tasty enough, but too ugly to desire to eat.

But I do love banana bread and when you have some of these hanging out in your freezer something needs to be done with them.

Actually my friend Monica from Sweetbites reminded me a few weeks ago to put my over-ripened bananas in the freezer when I read about her fancy Banana Cake with Mocha Frosting and Salted Candied Peanuts. Monica is definitely a fine baker (and she has also inspired much of my photography interest since first starting this whole blogging addiction I've developed.)

Our WORST SUMMER WEATHER EVER still continues to linger in the state of Washington, (it figures the first summer in many we pretty much stick in town and I make a commitment to take a solid 4 weeks off during the summer..the sun doesn't come out.Go Figure.) Today since it was still only 59 degrees when I returned home from my morning walk I decided it was a good day to bust out some banana bread.

I wanted to make a small loaf for us to enjoy right now, one for my walking pal and then freeze the 2 big loaves for our upcoming vacation with my family in Chelan.

I found a recipe for Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread on Cooking Light that looked perfect . With all of the cooking and drinking we've done this summer a light recipe fits the bill. I doubled this recipe and also added some chopped walnuts to 2 of the loaves. I love chocolate chip banana bread and love even more chocolate marbled baked goods so this really was the perfect find for us.

I gathered my baking ingredients from the 3 places that we store them in our 1940's inefficient kitchen

and then mashed my frozen bananas.

I wasn't sure if doubling would create the exact number of pans I was hoping for but it was just perfect to make what I was hoping to be able to do. (See I can't handle that whole precise thing...I just wing it and see what happens..)

G had went fishing at 4 a.m. and had came back home to take a quick nap. I knew this baking endeavor was a success when he woke up from his nap to the smell of the banana bread still in the oven and said,"Okay, I can't take it anymore. Is it ready?"

And his nose was right this really is a great recipe. Moist, perfect consistency and the added flavor of chocolate is pretty much Divine. Then add that it's only 183 calories a slice is just a pure bonus.

It was a successful way to spend a gloomy July morning in the kitchen. If your kitchen is not sweltering I recommend making some soon.

Recipe for Marbled-Chocolate Banana Bread from Cooking Light:
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • Cooking spray
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
  • Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add banana, egg substitute, and yogurt; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.
  • Place chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. Add 1 cup batter to chocolate, stirring until well combined. Spoon chocolate batter alternately with plain batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Swirl batters together using a knife. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear about your favorite meals, restaurants, or wines, as well as anything else you'd like to share.....